Hardening off help

jhook1997(7)March 27, 2013

Here in zone 7 our weather is very unpredictable during the time when I need to be hardening off my "cold crops". I have cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and cabbage that I started several weeks ago. All are getting to the point of having several leaves but are still pretty wimpy. I started taking them out last week to harden off but only got to do it two days. It is now WINDY and too cold for that! I have a cold frame built and sort of a glass tunnel made from windows that I use when hardening and what I'm wondering is.....at what point/temp. can I just leave them outside in those? I can obviously protect them from the wind but what temp. can the cabbage and cauli withstand?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jhook1997(7)

Sorry, new to the Forum....probably should have put this in "seed starting"

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:19PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

ah.. whatever.. on where you posted ....

though the plant itself might take the cold.. in the pots.. i would worry about the pot freezing.. or the roots getting too cold ...

*** what i was trying to say.. rather inarticulately.. is that you can not presume a mature plants hardiness.. on a tiny seedling ... and that is what the 'hardening off' process is all about.. on some level ...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 8:09

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:37PM
maplerbirch(4)

I set seedlings outside for the sake of sun, wind and rain during the daytime and into the evening.
If I'm concerned about the overnite conditions I bring them in before bedtime, or otherwise shelter them.
Cole crops in our area can get very close to freezing before I get concerned. It is a good caution about pots as stated, especially as the temps go down toward freezing. :)

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:35AM
maternut(7 west tn)

I see you are in zone 7 same as me. My cold crops have been out about 3 weeks now. About ready for tomatoes to go out. They have been outside about a week now but had to roll them into garage a few times at night.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™