growing Russian Willow [Salix acutifolia] from cuttings

paulandirene(z7 NM)March 31, 2008

Hi,

My dad gave me some Russian Willow [Salix acutifolia] cuttings...a little thicker than a pencil and about 16 inches long.

What would be the best way to grow these from cuttings?

The willow is valuable to us for sentimental reasons. The original one was planted by my great-great grandfather in Montana over 120 years ago. [I save seen pre-1900 pictures of it]. Eight years ago, they cut it down, but my dad got cuttings and has a nice healthy plant in his yard.

Anyway, I got some cuttings from it about a month ago...dipped them in rooting hormone, and put them in a sand/vermiculite mixture. I lightly tugged on the stem, and it seems that it had rooted, but there is otherwise no signs of life. I would have liked to have put them outside, but it's still a week or so away from our frost-free date.

For these new cuttings, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Keep them inside have the buds started to swell? in any case should leaf out & grow. IF NoT THEN:

Can use cuttings of firm new growth or winter cuttings..... apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil. If has leaf mist if not keep soil damp .......

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™