Pots or in-ground?

beth7happyAugust 14, 2014

Last year I gave in to my plumeria addiction and purchased several small plants. (6 is only several, right??) So, they've been living in large pots for over a year now...doing quite well. We did have to drag them into the garage to avoid some cold weather(they were only babies!!), but I also have four other plumeria - large (over 6 feet) in ground..lose all the leaves every winter and become stick plants. Do most of you keep your plants in pots, or do you transfer to the ground at a certain age?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
astrl

It really depends on a number of factors and your personal preference. Is your area subjected to freezes every winter? That is a main consideration. Younger trees are less hardy in those conditions than older trees. Although you can plant them, then dig them up and bare root them over the winter, it is more work than moving the pots. Certainly they grow better when not restricted to pots.

Mine are all kept in pots at the moment. Some are plunged, others are not. I planned to put some into the ground this year, but I haven't yet due to lack of time and the number of rain days we've had this summer.

astrl

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™