Propagating Calathea

Sugi_C(9a)March 1, 2013

Hi there,

Has anyone successfully propagated Calathea ornata via cuttings? I know it can be done by division but I was wondering if it's possible by just sticking a stem plus leaf into soil?

Thanks!

-Grace.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

The plant has leaves whose stalk act like branches, it has no single stem like other plants and in therefore very difficult to propagate by cutting, but here are some guidelines, if you choose to try:

Propagate calatheas by taking 6 inch stem cuttings and rooting them in a 50% mixture of peat and sharp sand. Keep cuttings in a warm and very humid place such as a greenhouse until they have rooted.

Otherwise, propagate by division as follows:

Check the pot to see if the Calathea is crowding.
Place your hands wide-spread on the top of the pot. Spread your fingers so the stems of the plant are between them. Cover the soil with your hands.

Turn the pot over atop a spread out newspaper. If the plant doesn't come out of the pot immediately, tap on the bottom.

Use your fingers to carefully separate the roots of the plant. Make certain that every stem has at least one leaf and roots.

Plant in smaller pots using the same soil mixture that the parent plant had. Keep the plants moist and out of direct sunlight in a cool area.

Cover the plants with plastic tenting to keep the humidity in, if your house is dry. In a few weeks, you should see signs that the new plants are maturing.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 5:30PM
Sugi_C(9a)

Kay,

Thank you so much for the instructions. The mother plant isn't big enough to divide, and in the process of repotting some full stems with leaf attached fell off. I initially stuck those into soil and posted this.

Since your reply, I've chopped off the leaves and stuck the bottom 6 inches into a peat/bark/sand mix, watered and then stuck the entire pot into a ziplock bag. :-) that's about as close to a greenhouse as I will get for now. It's by a sunny window and insid where it's about 70 degrees consistently.

I guess we shall see, but if I see any sign of new life, I will update. No big deal if it doesn't work, as mom is fine and not particularly my favorite plant anyway. :-)

Thank you for the tips!

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:32PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I found them in a google search, Grace. I have a few very large plants and have never tried propagating them. I know they can be cut to the top of the pot and rebound just fine, though.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:59PM
Sugi_C(9a)

I've done that to a previous plant, too, Kay. Quite awesome. :-)
You know, I did a google search before posting here -- but only found "propagation: by division" or "not recommended"-- and then I was thinking surely someone here would know if it is at all possible!

Thanks for finding the info (and at least possibility) for me.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™