UCD Fruit Cuttings Update (Photo)

dicentra(z6B)March 20, 2007

Hi All...

Thought I'd share a few photos showing the progress of my fruit tree dormant cuttings from UC Davis. It's a tight squeeze in this room, but it works :)

Almond, Apricot, Persimmon, Sweet Cherry, Fig

One corner of my Laundry Room/aka Plant Propagation Room/ aka ICU Animal Room (bunny was temporarily moved inside for treatment)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Keep us posted on how it goes.
I've stuck lots of dormant fruit cuttings which leafed out, but once they depleted the stored energy reserves in their stem and buds, they died.
Will be interesting to see if you're successful - and then, how well those varieties do 'on their own roots'.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dicentra(z6B)

I have the same reservation about the fruit cuttings, in that the reserve is used for leafing out, then depleted before rooting. This is more an attempt to see what happens. Yes, it will be interesting to see the results with "own root" specimens. I know the figs will be ok, because I've rooted them for many years successfully, however, the other ones are new territory. It must be the science geek in me that does these things...LOL.
I was hoping my son wanted to do his science fair project on some aspect of plants and rooting, etc., but he chose to do something with fruit flies. I tried to sway him to do something with fungus gnats but it wouldn't fly with him. It seems that my laundry room will now be an experimental room with insects, too, in haboring colonies of fruit flies (in containers). What next!

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™