cherry rooting question/quandary

patrausMarch 7, 2011

Hey all,

I recently (about a month ago) took 30 cuttings from a cherry tree that had been knocked over in an ice storm, treated them with .55% IBA (the strongest I could find) and placed them in coir in a covered aquarium. I gave a few of them a light tug after a few weeks and found that they gave a fair amount of resistance, raising my hopes that they might actually be rooting! Also, some of the buds are showing green, one set of leaves grew, and a couple of them have flowered (though not extensively.)

I pulled a couple up today to check on their progress and found that, rather than roots, there seem to be some sort of hard, white, lumpy growths wherever the IBA came in contact with the cambium (where I removed the lower buds, at the base of the cutting, wherever I removed bark), and this was what was providing the resistance.

What's going on here? Is this some sort of fungus? Are these (crossing my fingers, though finding it doubtful) a prelude to actual roots? I haven't worked with auxin since high school bio, so I'd be happy to have any more experienced folks shed some light on what this is. I'll be keeping them around for a while to see what happens, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

It sounds like a callus has formed & will need more time or a application of a high concentration of a auxin to get the roots to form.
the leaf & flower formation has been the result of the suggars stored in the stem.
I have not had good results from stem cuttings of the cherries therefore I use grafting to propagate this plant.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patraus

So there's a possibility this callus will go on to form roots, or is it pretty unlikely without further treatment? I had read about the difficulty of rooting cherry cuttings, but figured it was worth a shot.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Dracena Song of India: pruning propagation
Bought a Song of India (Dracena) a few months back....
edbyrnes
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Sponsored Products
Sweet Cherry Pendant in Copper
| Dot & Bo
Grover Loveseat - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
24" Kinloch Vanity
Signature Hardware
Cherry Tomato Gray Dupioni Silk Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Charles Grande Wool Sofa in Dark Gray
$699.00 | LexMod
New Silky Washed Chobi Peshawar 8'x10' Authentic Pakistani Floral Wool Rug H3798
BH Sun Inc
Cherry 14'' Salad Bowl
$29.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Mario Leatherette Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™