Pics- Peppers grown in pure Compost

greengrass12(5)July 29, 2012

Cylinder filled with compost and little espoma org fert added.

1 jalepeno on left and 2 cayenne on right

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

For those that say to NEVER use compost in containers. Please can you show me a better plant then that?^

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:03PM
Darylltx

Interesting....... will this growing medium provide too much nitrogen? It seems you have a lot of green growth, especially that left plant in lower pic. Have you gotten good yield, many peppers besides those cayennes?

Daryll

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:05PM
greengrass12(5)

It's raining here now so I can't count but there are many peppers there that don't show up in the picture probably because they are the same lush green color as the leaves. Jalepenos are not as prolific as cayenne, at least not the ones that I grow.

Compost provides a nice slow and steady release of nitrogen. The chemical ferts will give you a quick shot of nitrogen and too much will burn your plant. Hard to over dose organically.

This is for master gardner as I have talked to you about it before.-- I forgot to mention one ing. The secret to growing peppers org is in the micorhizae

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:49PM
peppernovice

A mycorrhiza (Gk. üÃÂúÃÂÃÂ, myk�s, "fungus" and ÃÂùöñ, riza, "roots",[1] pl. mycorrhizae or mycorrhizas) is a symbiotic (generally mutualistic, but occasionally weakly pathogenic) association between a fungus and the roots of a vascular plant.[2]
In a mycorrhizal association, the fungus colonizes the host plant's roots, either intracellularly as in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF), or extracellularly as in ectomycorrhizal fungi. They are an important component of soil life and soil chemistry.

Is that what you were referring to?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 3:09PM
greengrass12(5)

Yes that's the stuff but I use endo not ecto for my peppers and toms. There are those on the net that will argue that myko is found naturally in soils and no need to buy it. Others will argue that myko is of no value.

I find in my organic gardening that myko is a tremendous assist especially if growing in containers.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:05PM
PEPPERMEISTER1(6)

Greengrass: Those are some happy looking peppers! Cheers.
Keep it sustainable!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™