White Ghost pepper?

habjolokiaJuly 14, 2013

I've seen it mentioned here and there but have not found any good pics or proof of a natural mutation or cross. I would like one, so if I am going to get one looks like I will have to try.

I sort of followed this process

http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=54

But I did not use a Q-tip I just pulled the flower and took it over to the other to cross the pollen.

White Habanero X Ghost. Since they are outside once I crossed pollinated I put tiny plastic over the bud and used a twist tie for 24 hrs to make sure it was pollinated from the Habanero pollen. I crossed three on the Ghost and two on the habanero. Out of the 5 attempts one Habanero X Ghost is now a pod. I hope that the seeds grow White Ghost peppers we will see.

The method looks easy but I had knocked off a few flowers while trimming the flowers.

Here is a pic of the young pod with a red twist tie for a marker.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PepperGuy222(5)

Wow, hopefuly it works and if so is be willing to trade for some of those seeds. Although, would they really be viable? Interesting none the less, can't wait until it's ripe!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:44PM
habjolokia

They are both c. chinense so cross should be viable. I will not know how the cross went until I plant the seeds from the crossed pod. I will know at the end of the 2014 season. I think color trait may be one of the hardest to get across the gene pool?

Sure I would be up for a SASBE or trade.

Mark

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:17PM
smokemaster_2007

I have 3 plants from seed I got last year for White Bhut , White 7 Pot and White T.Scorpion.
Wonder what I'll get....
I have no idea if they are Hybrids - F?.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:37PM
habjolokia

Wow interesting Smoke, do your plants have pods yet? I would be interested to know if any pods grow true.

Mark

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:47PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The White Bhut is not a mutation, it is a hybrid.

Josh

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:36PM
habjolokia

Hey Josh, do you know of have you seen the white Bhut? Seems as its name represents its a ghost lol. I have not seen any posts or pics that represent the elusive white Bhut. Do you know of any link or place to get seeds?

Mark

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 8:47PM
tony469(modesto zone 9)

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=157&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:06PM
scorpion_john(6)

Mark, I am growing white bhuts this year from seeds Judy at pepperlover.com sent me free with my order. not something I would have bought, colors don't impress me much other than the chocolates I like them, but it was really cool of her. so I will let you know soon. they are just starting to set pods now. i'll have plenty of seeds for everyone this fall, I have 15 - 20 of them growing.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:24PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Mark, yeah on facebook Jim Duffy posts pics of Orange and White Bhuts, and I asked if they were hybrids, which he confirmed. Here's a video of a pod review...not an endorsement or advertisement on my part, just sharing so that the pepper itself can be seen. Feel free to watch without audio.

White Bhut Jolokia Review

Josh

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:22PM
remy101(lewisville,Tx)

I am also interested in white bhut seed. I can trade other pepper seeds

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:12AM
habjolokia

Thanks all for the information and links provided. I looked at them and even watched the video. Looks like its created. I will still grow out my cross and hope for white with the bumpy skin :-)

Mark

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:30PM
dbuchner(6)

I have a White Bhut from pepperlover that is podding now. They look interesting. Still a little way till ripening, so hopefully they will end up looking like Casper. I saw a review that claimed they tasted like 7up! Hope mine turn out that way. For the meantime I'm chowing down my white habs like they are candy!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:36PM
habjolokia

Dbuchner awesome pic and by the looks of your pod at least it's true Bhut white. Thanks for posting that and please update us on the taste and heat.

Mark

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:21PM
romy6(9)

Mark several people are growing them but none I have seen have the pimply surface. Not nearly as much heat or flavor from what i have heard. The pic dbuchner posted is pretty spot on to the others I have seen. My Not white bhuts look just like those but they went red :(

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:53AM
More Discussions
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
How To Support Pepper Plants
Those who grow tomatoes know it that supporting the...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
I had it bookmarked
It looks like it is the whole enchilada, not that cut...
ronnyb123
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™