Question about Microscope----

lotodig(z6Mid Tenn)May 11, 2009

Hello every one, I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading all your questions and responses...and can see that there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

That's why I'm asking this question here. I am a hobby gardener and do a lot of pollinating of daylilies. I have several hundred vials of daylily pollen in my freezer and need to clear out some that is probably no longer any good. I want to buy a microscope but have no earthly idea what kind to look for, how much to spend, (not more than a few hundred), what magnification I need, mono or bi eye piece and on and on. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would like to know what I need for viewing pollen to determine if it still looks good or if is is fraying, or falling apart.

Thanks so much for any info.......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you anywhere near MTSU? I'd contact some folks in their Biology department (emphasis on plant sciences) for some guidance. You might find someone extremely interested in what you're doing.

Attached in a link to their Biology faculty. You can click on their names to find out what they specialize in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 3:21PM
lotodig(z6Mid Tenn)

rhizo, thanks for the reply and the link. I did as you suggested and e mailed Dr. Amy Jetton asking her opinion. Hopefully I will hear back, sometimes people are too busy to take time to answer e-mails from someone they do't know, but we'll see.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 7:06PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'd try other faculty, as well. And don't give up, this is a time of year when faculty might be off on vacation, etc.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:43PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

I live in MD, and our Cooperative Extension Service did a workshop on interior plant pests at a conference for landscapers. They had some terrific microscopes and were very helpful and approachable folks. Perhaps your state is similar?

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™