Question re Lavendar cuttings

ellenr22April 5, 2007

Hello,

I rooted 2 lavendars from cuttings 10 days ago, in vermiculite, and they are doing great. Normally at this time I would transplant them into pots with container soil.

However, I'm hoping in not too long it'll be warm enough for me to plant them in the garden.

Wondering if I can keep them in the vermiculite for a couple of weeks, or if I should repot them now, then transplant them into the garden?

thanks,

ellen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet_grower

The vermiculite has little or no significant nutrients to support the growth of a newly rooted plant. You could leave it but If you transplant it into a nice plyable soilless mix and fertilize, you will have a much healthier plant that has a better chance of avoiding pest and disease problems. Janet

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 9:56AM
calistoga_al

Lavender will not root in 10 days so I guess you are saying you determined you have roots 10 days ago. If you plan on planting in the garden in two weeks time I would leave them in the vermiculte and fertilize with half strength liquid fertilizer. Al

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 10:28AM
ellenr22

Janet,
when you say, "soiless" mixture, is that the same as the container mixture I normally plant in, or is this something special for newly-rooted plants.

Can you suggest a brand, or what I'm looking for?

thanks,
ellen

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 10:35AM
janet_grower

Hi Ellen, I use Promix, but the brand doesn't matter, you can use the potting and seeding mix, its lighter than normal pottin soil, it actually has not soil properties it's a mix of peat moss, vermiculite and perlile. Light soil is important for the roots to work their way through as they grow. The vermiculite is a good medium for growing roots, but again has no nutrient value, and if left too long can rot. I always (as taught in my 2 gruelling years of horticulture studies)start to fertilize upon transplant at 1/4 strength every watering unless the plants become turgid (limp), then use straight water and resume the fert schedule as normal next watering. Same for seedlings once they get a couple of sets of true leaves. I did lavender cuttings myself and was told I couldn't do it or it will take forever, congratulations on rooting your lavender, don't ya just love the smell! Janet

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 2:43PM
janet_grower

I meant to unless the plants are not turgid, turgid means not limp, sorry if that caused any confusion. Janet

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™