New Mexico 6-4L, the heartbreak pepper

DFW_Gardener(7b)July 5, 2012

The scourge of blossom end rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

Man, that sucks! I would be heartbroken as well!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:24PM
esox07 (4b)

Yah, those looked like they were gonna be some nice peppers.
Bruce

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:40PM
Darylltx

Why dont you call or bring some of your soil to your local extension service and see what is going on with your soil? Also show them that video and see if they can help you?

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 3:18PM
DFW_Gardener(7b)

I'll do a better job with checking the soil and adding the proper amendments for next season, but the "Big Jim" peppers right next to the 6-4L didn't have nearly as bad an issue.

I think that if you can get your soil and watering perfect, these 6-4L plants would give bonanza harvests.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 3:26PM
don555(3a)

Nice video, but that is definitely a heartbreak. Hopefully you can figure out what's going on and fix it with time for a new flush of peppers. Five feet tall plants?... wow, my biggest are scarcely one foot -- zone 3 is tough, bah.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 1:24AM
thenewmidwestchilehead

Bummer. I had a lot of BER on my 6-4 plants last year, but they will grow out of it. The problem is they probably won't set more pods until it cools down. Some cal-mag (or homemade cal-mag) should help. As I understand the problem, BER is caused by a lack of available calcium during pod formation. Plants usually correct themselves, but it is heartbreaking to toss those early pods.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:46AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Oh, BER is such a bummer. In tomatoes different cultivars are more prone to it than others, just a matter of genetics. Probably it is the same with peppers. My favorite paste tomaotes are very prone to it. Do some reading on BER in the tomato forum, some think it has a lot to do with uneven watering causing stress that brings out BER. Also a soil test would tell you if you are lacking calcium or have something else going on effecting the availability of calcium. Sorry about your peppers.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 10:27AM
tsheets(5)

Kind of drifting off topic, but, what is your fav paste tomato, sunnibel?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:56AM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

San Marzano, which my Mom grew for years. I grow a sub cultivar called Gigante, and they are! Better flavor for eating as well as sauce, I think. But they were the only ones to show BER in my garden, which turned out to have a slight calcium deficency. I've added lime this year, per the soil test results, and increased my mulching, per advice on the tomatoes forum, so fingers crossed!

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 4:59PM
tsheets(5)

I have still been trying paste tomatoes. Last year I grew San Marzano Redorta and had a lot of BER. This year I tried Super Marzano Hybrid and am having a lot of BER so far. I do like the tomato when it doesn't have the BER. So, I was just curious. I also have Opalka and don't have as much BER on those, but, don't really like those fresh (great for sauce / canning, though). I finally mulched this past week to try and even out the moisture.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Time Lapse Video of Carolina Reaper Sprouting
Check it out my little reapers are finally coming up....
capsicummaximum
Did my heater fail?
I am not sure what happened yesterday the where fine....
T S
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
Garden Prep - Necessary?
Hi All, I was allocated this space at my in-laws house...
salevene
Seed question
I have been very curious about this matter. I planted...
tomyres
Sponsored Products
White Tapered Shelf Set
$24.99 | zulily
Veneto Luce Aero Six-Light Brushed Nickel Bath Fixture
$720.00 | Bellacor
Alliyah Handmade Rust New Zealand Blend Wool Rug 5x8
Overstock.com
Safavieh Avish White 23.6-32.1-inch Adjustable Height Swivel Adjustable Bar Stoo
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Ringmaster Pewter 5' 3" x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Clay One-Light 22.5-Inch Table Lamp
$85.31 | Bellacor
Couristan Berkshire Hoosic Area Rug - 93680530039055T
$24.00 | Hayneedle
Unbranded 4 in. Recessed Lighting Kit TH-P08-02
$24.75 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™