How long do chillies ripen

Sam_HawkinsJuly 17, 2013

How long does it in average take for a chilli pepper to ripen from the point the blossom drops? Also, should I let them turn the color entirely or pick them when they only start to turn color? I have read somewhere that you should pick them earlier in order not to halt the production of new buds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tony469(modesto zone 9)

All depends ,my experience mild chilies ripen faster than the hotter ones.i would say a month to a month +..weather also plays a factor....I would let them stay on the plant ripe as they build heat and flavor..just don't let them start to wrinkle unless u plan on drying them..example a green habenaro will taste like a bell pepper and a ripe one burn your tongue off.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:28PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

And then there's jalapenos that can take so long to color that people don't bother to wait...

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 5:53PM
SgtPepper

My Congo Reds take a about month to turn color after reaching full size. Once they've decided to get red, then I wait another 2-3 weeks before picking. It's true, the longer they stay on the tree the hotter they become.

Although the Congos are on average only 50-70% the heat of Bhuts, a few clearly exceed that average when left on the branch longer.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:46PM
willardb3

Patience is a virtue in chile growing

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™