Stepping (barely) into the professional market

wordwizMay 5, 2010

I drop a paper off at a hardware store and over the last couple of years, the manager and I have developed a decent relationship. He bought some tomato plants from me last year and was going to buy some more this season, but then he asked me about the possibility of supply flats of plants for him to sell. It means a potential loss of at most $200 (the price I am selling them to him vs. what I sell at flea market type events) but that is if I sell none anyplace else. Plus I deliver 100 plants at a time and do not have to sit around waiting for a customer to show up.

But the real reason I wanted to do this is because they have five stores. Next year, they could easily want at least 200 plants per store, maybe more. I can handle this, plus another 500 for me to sell. It would be a nice step toward doing this as a living.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachel_z6(7)

I wouldn't see it as a loss of $200 but a gain, since you weren't selling to them before. (and yes, not sitting around doing the retail end, which means you have time to do other money-making stuff, like growing more plants). making money selling wholesale is about volume.

congratulations on a new venture.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 10:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

I ended up selling only about 50 plants at the store about $370 in all. Some things I will do differently next year.

First, hook up with more gardening clubs. A place up the road found out I had plants for sale, mostly after they had a great start on the gardens, but I still sold over $100 in a couple of days. Had I had more Bell peppers, I could have sold more.

Sow seeds later. I waited a couple of weeks longer this year than last and was still two weeks too early. The plants were almost too big.

Use smaller containers and sell for less. I used 18-cell trays this year (3" square) and sold the plants for $2 each. Next year I'll use nine four-packs per tray and sell each one for $2.50.

Stagger seed sowing. That way, I'll have good size plants during all of May, not nice size ones for the early planters but giants for the later people.

Promote them more. I'll use Craig's list a lot more next year. I also deliver a couple hundred papers to business owners and I'll make sure to include an order form with each paper as well as offer to deliver them for free.

Mike

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Sponsored Products
CS027 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Signal 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Turquoise
$1,200.00 | LexMod
Hinkley Lighting | Miley 5053 Bath Bar
$169.00 | YLighting
Halogen Floor Lamp No. 2508/1 by Holtkoetter
$618.00 | Lumens
Ridged Bronze 4 1/2" Wide LED Outdoor Step Light
Lamps Plus