yoshino cherry propagation

joytwo1839(z6 TN)April 4, 2008

Can you take cuttings from these trees and root them?

Or should you try to gather the seed? I'd rather try the cuttings but is this the right time and should you put

them in half sand and half potting soil. I want to try the Walmart containers posted on the forum- would it work?

Help is always appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

I haven't done this myself yet (only just planted a yoshino this spring), but according to the Macon Cherry Festival website, propagation is very possible. In fact, apparently that's where all their cherry trees came from. How to do it?...someone else can help, hopefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Macon Cherry Festival History

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 12:34PM
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Grafting is the method of choice & the only one I normally use. But have used cuttings of firm new growth applied 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist.
Takes 1.5 years to produce a plant in a 1 gal container.....

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 4:47PM
beth.sloan

I am confused about the two methods of propagating a cherry tree. If you plant cuttings with rooting hormone the plant will eventually sprout roots underneath the soil. When you graft a bud from a parent tree does the bud from the parent grow roots between itself and the host? Also, do you need another cherry tree as the host?

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 12:10AM
sirhidesingrass

use this. that way you dont waste any cuttings. from what ive seen if the branch doesnt root, just let it be and itl heal up and not be wasted. hope it helps

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/ornamentals/airlayer/airlayer.html

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 3:36PM
airlinevisit_yahoo_com

Hi,
I planted a cherry tree using cuttings from sprouts of exposed tree roots into a 4 inch pot last spring. This month, now a year later, it has sprouted 2 branches of green leaves about 10 inch long each and the roots have outgrown the pot. Should I transfer it to a larger pot now or is it ok to plant it in the ground this month? Please advise. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™