We need help, Plumeria won't flower

d2mjjAugust 24, 2008

We bought a plumeria cutting at Disney World in 2002, we have had it in a pot since then. It has grown 4x its original size, but has never gotten a flower. It gets leaves every year but never flowers. It is growing straight up in a single stalk with abot 6 or 7 leaves on top, but never a flower?? What are we doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malibu_rose(z10CA)

Have you fertilize it regularly? Need a high number in the center when buying fertilizer for plumeria.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 10:38AM
bri_fl(9 FL Lakeland)

Have you ever up-potted it since it's grown so much? Is it getting enough sun? Do you know if it's a seedling or cutting? I believe seedlings take a coulpe of years sometimes.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 6:05PM
korryzn5a

My plumeria is 3 years old has 3 branches on each plant and has never bloomed either. The plants actually grew quite a bit this summer, but are still small I think, for being 3 years old. I live in zone 5a so I take them in in the winter. I have fertilized with "hawiaaian flower magic" (Roberta's) every week like they advised, but still no flowers. Do I need to transplant? I moved them into the front of my house this summer (in pots) because it has hot afternoon sun. I am thinking they need even more sun than they are getting. Any help would be accepted greatly.

thanks,

Korry

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:14AM
kasiec

D2mjj and Korry - by the age of your plumerias, it may just be root bound. Since you have a manageable amount of plumerias, I would pot it up to a larger pot...the bigger the pots, the better it will grow.

Kasie

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 1:13AM
korryzn5a

Kasie,
since it is the August, should I wait until spring to transplant...

thanks, I have been waiting for the blooms...can't wait to see what colors I have. The plants do look healthy though.
I put in a full sun garden(for bananas and cannas) this summer, so maybe I will put the pots out by them next summer. Hopefully they will do better. Thanks for your help.

Korry

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 8:57AM
kasiec

Hi Korry - if your temperature is dropping now I would wait until spring. And when you do transplant, don't worry about damaging the roots. They are tougher than we think.

Kasie

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 9:22AM
korryzn5a

Our nights have been in the high 40's. Feels like fall, this weekend the highs will be in the 80's though. My plumies are still putting out new leaves. I might try and keep them in the basement this winter, it is heated, but stays cooler than the main part of our house. I was keeping them in a bedroom with the most light. Thanks again for your help

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Contest time!
Now that spring's finally here, let's have a little...
jandey1
Jungle Jacks
Not sure if I can ask this here. I was thinking about...
plumeriai45
My seed pod broke off ... Help
My seed pod that had been growing/maturing for the...
cwgrinnell
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
Top 5 WOW Factor Plumeria Choices ?
Hello Gang ; Please help me choose the top 5 Wow Factor...
edzone9
Sponsored Products
Flos | KTribe T2 Soft Table Lamp
YLiving.com
Elf 1 Bath Bar
Lightology
Set of Four Raffia Placemats
$72.00 | FRONTGATE
Single Bowl Bronze Bathroom Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Dreamweaver Two-Light Bath Fixture with Hand Woven Recycled Steel
$159.00 | Bellacor