Adenium Obesum Question

soonergirl1968(7a OKC)August 26, 2010

I discovered these plants and fell in love. I bought three from different places this season and all have done incredibly well. One, however, has grown at least 8 inches over the past 3 months and I'm not sure if I am suppose to prune it or just let it go. Can someone please tell me what I need to do with it? The branches are still soft and tend to wilt under the intense sunlight but pop right back up after the sun goes down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dpolson37(7a VA)

Soonergirl, Nice adenium and other friends growing in the background. I have close to 40 desert roses growing that I started from seed and that allowed me a few to experiment with. I cut the tops off when they were about 4 inches tall. That left just a stump with no leaves. It took a couple weeks, but now they are showing multiple branches. So I'd say you could prune the top if you want, but half the fun is seeing what crazy shape they take on. I've heard of some folks using hard aluminum wire to shape the branches. A bit to much work for me, but a good idea with one or two plants. Here is one of mine growing in a 6 inch pot. This one did not get any top pruning. I did loose some branches due to scale last winter, but it's bounced back being outside. From Garden 2010

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 9:52PM
soonergirl1968(7a OKC)

What a beautiful little plant! Mine have yet to bloom but I purchased all of them late in the season I guess. One of them didn't even have one leaf but now is growing like crazy. They're kind of hard to find around here but found my largest one at an Asian market downtown. I posted on the Cacti & Succulent forum and think I am going to prune them but don't know if I should do it now or wait until spring as we only have 45-60 more days until they need to be brought indoors.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 9:04AM
karyn1(7a)

Why do you want to prune them? Are you looking for a particular shape?

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 9:16AM
soonergirl1968(7a OKC)

I would like to encourage more branches, more flowers and a larger caudex. I was told that was the way to do it. I am certainly not an expert, by any means, but have researched the internet and that seems to be the consensus :)

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 3:27PM
ltran54(9)

Soonergirl, you have a healthy plant of desert rose. you can prune it now, just keep it in the shade for few days and no water on the cut branches. The more you cut, the more branches and more blooms. Good luck, soon you are going to buy more and more of DR. Because this can be addicted. I am a living proof.
marie

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
more middle room
re worked some space in the middle of courtyard. used...
rox146
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™