Grafting Carpathian (English) Walnuts

jimstoneok(7)April 11, 2013

I've never posted anything on a forum, so I don't know if this is the right way/place to do it.
Does anyone know the best time to graft Carpathian walnuts onto black walnut seedlings?
I usually have several black walnut seedlings come up each year, and I want to try grafting for the first time.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey jim .. welcome ...

do you literally mean grafting on what comes up in a few months???

most tree grafting.. involves an understock that is at least pencil thick ... which is about 2 to 4 years old ....

i would suggest you get some cactus mix.. and some one gallon pots .. and try potting up your seedlings.. and learning how to grow trees in pots.. for a year or two.. to grow them to size.. so as to graft them ... in the future ...

otherwise.. generally.. trees are grafted in winter .... and i bet you missed your window of opportunity.. but i dont know for sure... but fruit peeps do things much differently than tree peeps.. so who knows ....

there is a fruit forum .... and some of those peeps do 'nuts' .... and i have never seen most of them here.. so you might want to try the same question there ... if you dont get an answer here ..

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:18PM
jimstoneok(7)

I have 3 black walnut seedlings that are 2 years old, that I transplanted last year into where I wanted them to grow.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 3:04PM
maplerbirch(4)

I was under the impression that grafting can be done in early Spring while the plants are still dormant. I was going to graft some branches of the top onto the suckers, coming up from the root.
The roots are of a stock used for dwarfing. :)

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:17AM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™