Mowing height dilemna (Lawn Service)

OrganicOmarJune 11, 2013

Hello,
This is my first post and my first time visiting any garden forum. I am interested in possibly starting a lawn care service. I'm researching various things. Among them is grass height. I keep mine at 3" and would like to be fully organic. But wonder if customers will object to that because I'd probably be visiting them once a week for cutting and mine gets pretty high towards the end of the week. If it gets any amount of foot traffic it really shows too. Being in Chicago I'd probably be working with mainly Ryegrass and Bluegrass. What do you guys suggest for my little dilemna here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Cutting height is based on the kind of grass in the lawn.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

And the frequency of mowing can be somewhat controlled by the fertilization routine. And the time of year really dictates rate of growth.

But remember, cutting needs to be done on a regular basis no matter how high you set the blades. Once a week is a good routine, if you can talk your clients into it. Twice a month and you'll be taking off too much at any one cute, no matter how high the grass is. That is very stressful for the plant. That's a tough sell to the typical lawn service client.

There is a direct corrolation between the length of the blade and the growth of the roots. Healthier, deeper, and stronger root systems means healthier grass requiring less water and fertilizer.

I'd encourage you to try to sell annual contracts where the customers pay an AVERAGE fee every month, whether you show up once a week or once a month, or as needed.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 5:08AM
More Discussions
Northern Greenhouse Folks - Favorite plants?
Hello from Vermont. I used to visit this forum often...
palmandan
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Being able to purchase plants wholesale
Hello, beside having a retail nursery - what other...
natalie4b
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™