Starting my own business

watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)June 29, 2007

Thanks to the advice here, or perhaps in spite of it, I'm starting my own plant services and sales business! I'm excited and a bit terrified.

I've found the information here about pricing, contracts, clients, etc. to be very helpful. Laag especially has been an inspiration (as well as a reality check).

I don't know if I'm allowed to post my web site - I don't want to be accused of advertising, even though my clients will be limited to the Carroll County, MD area. (But if anyone is interested, email me at perfectplantsgro@aol.com.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

I think you have a good chance of making this work for you, and congratulations.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 10:51AM
laag(z6CapeCod)

Congratulations!

There is a big difference from dropping a corporate job to start a business that looks like it will be fun and starting to work for yourself in a situation where you have familiarity, some networking in place, and experience.

You'll be fine.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 9:08PM
calliope(6)

Exactly, that's what I was thinking. She's paid her dues and approached it with her ducks in a row and realistic expectations.

I love to encourage people in this business. I've been in it over two decades, most of which as an owner. In that length of time, however, I have seen nearly a dozen local green businesses sprout up and collapse. Usually in a two year time frame. There are no short cuts, and as "fun" as it might sound, it isn't very much fun to lay out all of your capital and then some and watch it go down a rat hole.

It really, really helps to see it from the inside out before you ever make the decision to invest in it. My first job in the industry I took a 75% pay cut, and considered it tuition. There is no substitute for experience in a real life setting. I kept my mouth shut, and my ears open and when it got to the point I knew I could do it better than it was being done, that was the clue to get out on my own and do it.

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 12:59AM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Thanks for the support and encouragement! I think I landed my first job at a cookout yesterday!

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 12:27PM
thistle5(z7 VA)

Congratulations, Watergal, I think you're as prepared as anyone to make a go of it. You were smart to work for someone else first & do your learning on their dime, not that it won't be hard, but it will definitely be worth it!

Let us know how it's going, & Good Luck!...

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 2:55PM
tierra906

Congratulations on your new business. If you would like to sell prepackaged landscape designs on your sales route, please email me. I'm looking for sales people or distributors within the US. Thanks,

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 11:29PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

That's great, Watergal. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Inventory
I have been selling plants that I grow for a long time...
angfull
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Plant photography
I recently ran into this issue on a lilac site. Plants...
Sherwood Botsford
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™