Legal cuttings that I can sell?

bnentrup(IN)June 4, 2013

I have a general educational type question here: What cuttings can I legally sell? My marketplace will be small, but that does not matter to me in that I want to be respectful and legal.

What I mean is, if I cut from plants that I start myself from seed- I assume that I am 'legal'. Is this always true? Also, if I cut from mature plants that I have purchased- and propagate for profit by cuttings, I assume this is illegal/or worthy of potential lawsuit if ever discovered.

Again, I know my marketplace is small, but I want to be honest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You can legally take cuttings from anything you grow from seed. The issues come when you are taking cuttings from mature plants - one, that they are your own or you've received permission; two, they are not patented plants and three, you know the correct botanical and cultivar name.

The key to the propagating of mature plants is that they are not patented. Patented plants CANNOT be propagated (other than by seed) without permission and licensing by the patent holder or his rep. And a good many patented plants are sterile or will not come true from seeds so that's a very poor option :-)

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Best wave petunia for hanging baskets???
What do you growers think is the best wave petunia...
Diamond2014
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™