need some heat in my salsa

growsveges(8)July 21, 2010

Hi,

I need some salsa advice....

I'm trying to increase the heat of my salsa. I use Annies salsa recipe (great - from tomato forum) but it's not hot enough. Yesterdays batch I added 7 green jalapeno's, 1 red cayenne and 1 green cayenne. It seemed hot enough before cooking and canning, but the day after it really mellowed.

I'm just growing the cayennes and jalapenos but I have plenty. My questions are

which are generally hotter, red or green cayennes?

Do you find that peppers lose some heat on cooking - should I double up on the peppers to compensate?

Thanks for your help - I could really use some advice from some experienced pepper people!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romy6(9)

The riper the pepper the more heat. Let them cayenns turn bright red before picking . The jals should show signs of stress on the skin ( lines or stripes where the skin is cracking)for the most heat. I find my peppers loose very little heat when cooking. Sometimes I think it makes them hotter. I would use half peeppers to tomato's. Throw in a few habs if you really want some heat. That's what I do.Good luck? Mo peppers mo better.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 2:08PM
farnell(9)

Sometimes my jalapenos do lose heat during cooking but not always.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 5:18PM
tsheets(5)

Do you have access to Serrano peppers? They are a great salsa pepper and a bit hotter than a Cayenne (but not as hot as a standard Hab).

Otherwise, I'd say more red / ripe Cayennes.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 5:47PM
thenewmidwestchilehead

A little bhut jolokia will kick up the heat!

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 12:31AM
growsveges(8)

Thanks all for the advice!

I was a little hesitant putting more cayenne's in the salsa only because I haven't used them before. I'll wait for the jal's to turn red and load up on the red cayennes in my batch today.

thanks again

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 6:59AM
vic01(z4MN)

I use Annie's salsa recipe too. Add the hot peppers as long as the proportions are the same you can substitue one pepper for another. In my family I have to make mild, medium and hot to suit everyone but I always use Annie's salsa as the starting point.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 1:35PM
shoontok

Most food markets have habanero's and fairly inexpensive. Try dicing up one or two of those with yer homegrown jalapeno's and cayennes.

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 2:30PM
highalttransplant(z 5 Western CO)

I'll second vic01's advice ... the pepper's are interchangeable, but the proportions need to be the same if you are canning the salsa. Tomatoes are more acidic than peppers, and you have to be careful about increasing low acid ingredients, if you want to be sure the recipe is safe for canning.

I use Annie's Salsa recipe too, but I've been using the mild jalapenos, such as Senorita, or Fooled You. It turns out perfect for DH, who can't handle ANY heat, but I too want a hotter version for myself, and to give as gifts to my siblings. This year, I'm growing Beaver Dam, Anaheim, Ancho, TAM, and Mariachi, so I'm hoping to make a batch that is has a bit more heat. Unfortunately, the tomatoes STILL don't have fruit on them, even though they are covered in blooms, so I may not have any salsa at all, unless I buy some tomatoes at the farmer's market!

Bonnie

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:09PM
tedsfarms

"but I too want a hotter version for myself, and to give as gifts to my siblings. This year, I'm growing Beaver Dam, Anaheim, Ancho, TAM, and Mariachi, so I'm hoping to make a batch that is has a bit more heat."

nice, I too have the Beaver Dam, along with the NuMex varieties to spice things up but yet provide some density and flavor.

Most cayennes as mentioned above growsveges taste better when red.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™