Chimayo

peppernoviceJuly 20, 2012

I'm getting ready to harvest my first Chimayo peppers. Do you guys have any advice on how I should prepare this pepper? I've heard a lot about how good they are, so I want to make sure I enjoy it properly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romy6(9)

I would stuff them with love( cheese), wrap them in bacon, and grill them. But I say that about every pepper of any size:)

Might also make a nice chili relleno? Again with the cheese. I have issues:)

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:47PM
peppernovice

I have the same issue! I love cheese.So would I just cut off the stem,remove the seeds, and fill it with ricotta cheese? Do I bake it? Also, at what temperature and for how long? Thanks.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:53PM
romy6(9)

Yes sir cut it in half,remove the seeds, fill it with cream cheese( or any cheese) ,wrap it in bacon, put a toothpick in it to hole it together, and cook at 400 for about 1/2 hour.

Yeah I said bacon. That got your attention :)

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:12PM
peppernovice

LMAO....I think bacon gets the attention of any adult male. I'll give it a try. I'm very excited because I've heard so many good things about these peppers. Thanks again for all your help.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:19PM
peppernovice

***** 5 Stars on the recipe. The taste of the Chimayo blends great with the bacon and the cream cheese. I will definitely be making this again soon. I also added a few jalapenos to the mix. Awesome suggestion for Chimayo peppers. Thanks again romy6.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 7:38PM
peppermeister1(6)

You can never really go wrong with bacon. I like to stuff my peppers with italian turkey sausage or chorizo with some fresh herbs, cheese, garlic and spicy things.
I found a good article with some Chimayo recipes (link below)
I will tell you that if you pick those Chimayos green and roast them, they will make for some amazing new mexican style chile burgers.
I put roasted green numex chiles on pizza, eggs, hot dogs. You'll get a totally new flavor when you roast them over a flame or use the broiler.

Here is a link that might be useful: NuMex Chimayo Recipes

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 10:09PM
ottawapepper

Great looking pods peppernovice, nice job!

Like romy6 & you, I too have cheese and bacon issues.

I've used the Chimayo a number of ways ranging from the way you did yours to drying and powdering to to make sauces. By far, roasting and skinning them to make Rellenos is my favorite. If you want the recipe I use send me an email. I can't cite the source so I won't post it.

Interesting site PEPPERMEISTER1, I think I'll try a few recipes. I wonder whether the photo is a stock image or a different variety grown in Chimayo (like there's no one unique Hatch variety).

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 3:33PM
peppermeister1(6)

Peppernovice, here's a short article I wrote last fall summer about roasting chiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER - Roasting Chiles

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 9:14PM
peppernovice

Thanks guys. I'll be sending you an e-mail Bill. Peppermeister....thanks for the link. I guess I have some reading to do.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:14AM
richiebaker1245(8)

I've just eaten some orange habs, stuffed with brie, wrapped in bacon and roasted for half hr. quite surprised how it took a lot of the heat out, but retained the flavour- nice!

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 2:44PM
pindert

I have some fresh GREEN Chimayos... Does it matter that they're not red? Would all these ideas still work fine?

I was thinking of stuffing them with a chicken-and-cheese mixture, then wrapping them in bacon. Tonight! Plz let me know if this won't be good with green Chimayos.

Thanks

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 3:56PM
woohooman

Shouldn't be a problem pindert. I've never had them, but they look and sound like a variety of Anaheims; or close relative. They sound like they're thinner skinned though. So, if you roast them, you'll want to be careful not to burn up all the flesh. Most green roasters have thicker flesh than they're red counterparts though.

www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Chimayos-Chile-Culture

Kevin

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 4:19PM
john11840(z6/CT)

I have some Chimayos & Poblanos ready and was planning to make Rellanos. Baking instead of deep frying sounds like a great idea, and better for my health.
John A

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 9:37AM
bjdurham(z7a GA)

Don't worry about sharing a recipe. Most of a published recipe, like the list of ingredients, can't be copyrighted.

Here is a link that might be useful: US copyright law for recipes

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:11AM
john11840(z6/CT)

I fixed the rellenos last night in the oven. They turned out great tasting although the flour coating didn't stay on very well.
John A

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Bhut Jolokia best growing conditions?
I have some Bhut Jolokia peppers coming in the mail....
piranha338
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Aleppo Pepper?
I've heard of this variety and it's big in the Middle...
reversethong
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Help, Jalapenos and Serranos flowering....WAY too early.
I figure it must be a fertilizer issue. I am in Victoria,...
theripetomatofarm
Sponsored Products
Croscill Chimayo Comforter Set - 2A0-005O0-7311/225
$249.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™