beach sand used for intermittent mist?

jblitzfickApril 8, 2006

I'm getting ready to try my first intermittent mist system - but i'm having a hard time finding coarse enough sand. I live near the beach and see sand that i think would work great. Could I just clean it w/ bleach or is this crazy? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Do not use beach sand as it is full of salt. Builders sand available at any builders supply or Home Depot or Lowes. Al

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 4:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Beach sand is also worn and rounded, not sharp. The particles need to have sharp edges so that pore spaces are formed. There is no reason why you cannot find a bag of builder's sand at any hardware or building supply store.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 12:11AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

The people who install tile and grout have several sizes of 'silica sand' or 'sharp sand'. It is avaible at builders supply as calistoga noted above. Furthermore it is quite clean and is not expensive and comes in sturdy sacks.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 1:26PM
bobs-garden

When looking for sand you must have COARSE sand, called sharp, but I never had luck finding it so I improvised. Go to any Lowe's or Home Depot and get some "leveling sand" used for leveling paving stones. Use some regular window screen (you can get that there as well)and wash the sand in a flat with sides and the screen on the bottom. What you will end up with is perfect for misting/rooting plants. Let me know how it works, I've been doing this for a few years and it works for me. Bob MaplesNMore@aol.com

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 5:50PM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

You can also use med or large chicken grit available at feedstores.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 11:16AM
squirrellypete(z7b AL)

Go to a local builders supply place (not necessarily a big box like Home Depot). The smaller kind that have big piles of sand, gravel, etc...sitting on the lot somewhere. Our local chain is called "Webbs Concrete & Building Supply" but most towns have something similar. I can buy a half ton of coarse builders sand (they also sell finer masonry sand which is not what you want) for only $13.00 and they load it on your truck with a tractor or bobcat. A full ton is priced around $20. A 1/2 ton is all my little pick up can haul without breaking an axle lol. I have an intermittent mist propagation bed that is 8' x 5' and about 8" deep and a 1/2 ton is more than enough to fill it.

Good luck with your system! Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™