Harpin Protein

barbidwire(7)June 26, 2008

Has anyone every used Messenger (or any other brand) of Harpin Protein? I got samples from work (A&M research) and was told "good luck" with a shrug. I have heard no other reviews. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Cornell University: "Overall, Messenger® did not increase [sweet corn] plant productivity or yield." "In
the last 2 years of testing, Messenger® has given only marginal control [of tree fruits]." "No differences
in yield or quality were observed by application of Messenger® [on peppers]."
Iowa State University: "None of the treatments significantly [including Messenger®] reduced disease
incidence [on strawberry] or improved yield in these trials. The biological control treatments even had
lower yield than the unsprayed controls in the gray mold trials."
Kansas State University: "It does not appear thatÂMessenger® had any effect on wheat growth,
development, disease tolerance, or grain yield."
Michigan State University: "Âall the fungicide treatments (with the exception of
Messenger®Â)Âsignificantly limited foliar blights [of celery]."
Texas A&M: "No significant differences were observed among yields [of peanuts]."
University of Georgia: "Tests in Georgia have shown no benefit in disease control."
University of Kentucky: "HarpinÂhas not performed well in replicated tests." "Âno change in blue
mold activity with increasing rate of Messenger®  strong evidence of the lack of efficacy of this
product."
University of Tennessee: "Regular sprays of Messenger®Âdid not significantly affect seedling disease
incidence, early growth, or yield of fall spinach."
Washington State University: "Messenger® did not control Alternaria leaf spot [in cabbage] relative to
plants receiving no fungicide sprays." Furthermore, treated plants "showed premature senescence and
abscission of the older leaves." In another study, Messenger® appeared to have a positive effect on cherry
and pear fruit size, but "results in apple were mixed." A third study on disease control in wine grapes
states that Messenger® is "generally considered ineffective."

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of the Magic Bullet

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 11:32PM
stompede(z7 VA)

Good job bboy! It's funny how so many products are making shelves now that claim to do this and that, when in reality the research says different, as in the sea kelp and like products.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 10:41PM
darkcycle_live_com

I can only give anectdotal experience, but it has eliminated powdery mildew in my berries and peppers, seems to boost growth, in particular prior to fruiting. I have seen other research that says it works. It varies from what I'm told, in plant to plant. One species may be protected from a blight, and another not. Overall, I won't do w/o it.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 10:54PM
dave_a

hi, how are you doiing, love our posts

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 2:55AM
carol_dillonink_com

I have used Messenger for several years and it's AMAZING! It has made plants to bloom profusely that were not supposed to bloom the first year planted and helped plants that had been very average bloomers bloom profusely and repeatedly. I've even had flowers like irises that are only supposed to bloom once per season, bloom again after a couple of months. Last year I tried to buy some and was told it was off the market (that it had been purchased by a big company that had another product that competed and that it had been indefinitely shelved). I was devastated, so if it IS back on the market, I'm thrilled! It truly made a huge difference in my garden (and no, I am NOT being paid to say this).

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 2:50PM
rod_tayler_gmail_com

Here is a link for the product that replaced Messenger. Carol, it looks as though you're still in luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Employ

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 7:02PM
SoFL Rose z10

You can buy it here http://www.axiom-harpin.com/

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™