Bare-rooting plants?

ellieengland(92116)June 6, 2007

Hey guys!

I have a small "nursery" and I am in trade with someone who has requested that I bare-root plants prior to shipping. I think I can do that with cuttings but I am not so sure about established plants.

The plants in question are Lapageria rosea, Deppea splendens, Worsleya procera, Griffinia hyacinthina, and so forth. The lapagerias are somewhat touchy about their roots so I dunno if I can do that. The other plant is in the coffee family and is not too senstive but not super hardy either. Does anyone think this is do-able for these kinds of plants? They do not "go dormant", BTW. I am not sure about the Griffinia but the others don't go totally dormant - the first two grow actively all year.

Any imput is appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ellie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, tolerances vary with the kind of plant. Sounds like you already suspect at least a few of these will not take it very well, should probably not try it with those.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 5:59PM
ellieengland(92116)

Thanks, bboy - I appreciate it. I know one guy in Chile who bareroots Lapagerias. I just dont see how is all... I guess I'm not comfortable doing it to that plant.

-ellie

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 6:24PM
donn_(7b-8a)

I'd suggest experimenting with the process. If you're raising these plants for commerce, it's in your best interests to possibly sacrifice some for the purpose of learning what your limits are with them. Call it a cost of business, and see if they can take it. Duplicate the shipping process by barerooting a couple of plants, packing them up in some sort of media and packing material, and staging them to imitate various shipping times. Then unpack them, pot them up and see what happens.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Rose planting
I recently purchased some knock out roses.Is it too...
denniswalsh
Best wave petunia for hanging baskets???
What do you growers think is the best wave petunia...
Diamond2014
wilt pruf sprayed and froze on junipers
Hi all, I have a small garden in New York City. The...
happygardengirl
POS systems
I work at a nursery and the office manager asked me...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™