Standard Roses

greengirl144June 26, 2007

I love standard roses and I would like to create one from a Morden Blush that grows very well here. At the moment my plan is to buy a very small runt. Then prune it until it has one main stalk. Then stake it and prune any lateral branches. I would go out and buy a standard rose but it's way to cold for anything to be available for sale here. I would love some advice from someone who has actually created standard roses, I am flying by the seat of my pants and think I might be on the fast track to killing an innocent rose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Standard roses are grafted - in fact, they are double grafted. Typically there will be a rootstock that is grafted to a clear stem or trunk, then a top graft with the featured rose on top. This double grafting - specifically the top graft - is typically what makes standard roses less hardy than a single graft or own-root roses. In your climate, even commercially grown standard roses would have a tough time in winter and most likely should be brought under protection.

I guess you could try the method you propose and see what happens but I'd be very uncertain about your chances for success in creating a well-formed, viable standard.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
KateInOhio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™