Wandering Jew from leaves?

avajayMay 23, 2009

While leaving the local greenhouse today, I found 2 orphaned, healthy houseplant stems laying by my car. I figured that they had fallen off of someones just-bought plant, and I just picked them up and took them with me. Upon returning home, I called my mom to ask about rooting this mystery stranger, and she said just to do a glass of water or root in starter mix, as I had told her it looks like a purple philo or rhodo, something vining. Well, I thought time was against me, so I just experimented with many propagation methods....the African Violet cut leaf, the bare stem, and since I had several healthy leaves to work with, I tried the wound-the-vein-and-pin-it-flat-with toothpicks-into-damp-medium method (all methods were done with powdered rooting hormone). After about 15 or so different pots, all covered with plastic, I had time to google "veriagrated green purple vine", and found a pic of my orphan. Now, as much as all the posts that I've seen by now of this plant's ability to reproduce, will my leaf experiments prove successful? All are covered with clear plastic, I think I need to provide some air punctures, and I will put them where they'll get light, but not direct sun. While googling, I can't find an instance where someone has said that a Wandering Jew can propagate by any leaf methods. Who's got an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

have never tried your method on this plant & willbe interested in hearing your results.
I use a single leaf with a piece of stem attached. I apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) & mist

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Anyone w/Inexpensive Misting System Plans?
I would like to build an inexpensive mising system...
Grancru
Sponsored Products
Classic Mission-style Under-window Bookshelf
Overstock.com
Crystorama Orleans Black Iron Three-Light 12'' Wide Mini Chandelier
$258.00 | LuxeDecor
Tondo 18 Black One-Light Mini Pendant with Ceylon Glass
$409.50 | Bellacor
Jonathan Adler Meurice Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Utopia 2-lt Medium Semi Flush Mount
LBC Lighting