rooting broken honeysuckle vine?

gumtree4(Z8/BC Canada)May 31, 2006

I accidentally broke off two vines today while training them on my trellis. I have them sitting in water at the moment but will they root? They are about 2 1/2 feet long. Thanks to anyone that can answer this......

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Cut the "vine' to 1-2 nodes (eyes) apply 0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil 7 mist takes 25-80 days to root.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 4:38PM
ianna(Z5b)

I propagated honeysuckle vines with so much ease even without the hormone.

Ianna

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 3:22PM
greenthumbgardener

If I knew an antonym for "propagate" I would like to do that with MY honeysuckle vines. LOL!

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 7:56PM
suckerforroses

i have also, accidentally, cut my mom's young grape vine while trimming my climbing rose. anyway, propagating honeysuckle vine is not very complicated. my mom got two long vine cuttings from her friend last year and she dug a shallow hole wide enough for the long cutting and covered it up. this year the vine is about 6 feet tall and full of blooms.(propagation by layering). i don't know the success rate of this method because my mom has a green thumb, and everything tends to grow in her guarden. you can also make cutting that have 4 nodes, each with two sets of leaves. remove the bottom two sets and leave the tops. scratch the sides of the cutting at the end and dip it in dip n grow sln or in any rooting hormone. place in a pot with soil where the base two nodes are covered. cover the cutting with a jar, or a bag to preserve moisture. the cutting will root in 6 to 8 weeks.
hope this helps

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 3:10PM
Vangy(SW Mi)

I have rooted several 6", give or take, (soft wood) cuttings in water, overwintered in the house, successfully planted them out and come back strong after the next winter

Vangy likes to play in the dirt

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 11:36PM
suckerforroses

last month, i tried propagating honesuckle vine. i took long cutting then cut them to smaller pieces each with 2 nodes, took off the leaves from the bottom node and scratched near that nodes (bottom one). i dipped each cutting in dip N grow sln (diluted 10X for softwood) for 5 seconds, then i placed the cutting in a peat pellet with only the bottom node covered(soaked in warm water before hand to inflate) then i placed the pellet in a rectangular pot filled with regular potting soil. i placed wodden stick on the sides of the pot (sheesh kabab sticks) and wraped the top with seran nylon wrap. (the sticks are used to hold the nylon). i got impatient and thought the whole thing was a failure. so i forgot about it for a while then two days ago, i checked on it and found that 7 out of the 12 cutting has grown new tiny leaves. i was ecctatic. finally, i grew something instead of killing it ( i have a high plant mortality rate history ;). so i'm going to keep the wrap on for a couple more days, keep the humidity high, until i think the plants are hardy enough... wish me luck...

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 12:11PM
suckerforroses

(follow up)
today i was transplanting one honeysuckle cutting from the big pot to an individual smaller one and i found that they all had long roots and they were all tangled.(sign of success?) i guess i should've placed them more spaced. anyway, my question is: is it okey to cut back the roots a little if they are too long, and how do i minimize the transplant shock?. i transplanted one and i placed a nylon bag on top of it and sealed it, (individual green house). is that the right way to do it? should i use special soil mix or just regular potting soil?

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Sponsored Products
Hampton Ivory and Camel Rectangular: 5 Ft. 1 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$131.07 | Bellacor
Alfresco Home Serenity 5 Position Dining Chair - 20-1003
$269.00 | Hayneedle
Goodrichâ„¢ Sterling Deep Cone Reflector Porcelain Gooseneck Light
Barn Light Electric Company
Tomato Patio Planter Set
$10.99 | zulily
Minnesota Twins Root Beer Mug
$14.99 | zulily