Rooting geraniums

Olwas2013May 8, 2014

I planted a geranium cutting in soil. How long will this take to root if it's an indoor cutting. Thank You

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonene1

I guess that it depends in many factors like lighting temperature, moisture, the kind of geraniums you have.

for me i just dipped the cuttings in some rooting hormone and watered the soil well.
I did not cover them or anything just put the cuttings outside in the balcony and in two weeks i could see roots at the bottom of the pot when i took the plant out with the soil.
two more weeks and the roots filled the pot and the geraniums started to make new growth.

i found out that in general geraniums are easy to root and do it in a short time.

this is when compared to another plant , Brunfelsia that even now after a months is just starting to show signs of root dots.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:18AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The big no no is keeping the cutting too damp. Geraniums cuttings are particularly prone to rotting. Council of perfection is to leave the cutting out in the air for a day or two before planting so the cut end can callous over. That helps prevent rot. Keep the medium fairly dry. Some bottom heat doesn't hurt.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 9:52AM
david52_gw

Came here to say the same thing re leaving the cuttings out 24 - 48 hours to dry out the cut end before dipping in powdered rooting hormone and setting them in the pots.

Leave them until the end starts to shrink and shrivel. Makes a huge difference.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™