How and when can I propagate Surfinia?

anaman(UK)May 7, 2007

I have bought about ten surfinia petunias this year to put in hanging baskets. Since these plants cannot be raised from seed, I assume that cuttings can be taken.

If so when is the proper time, and how should the cuttings be looked after until next spring?

Thanks for any help offered.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mscratch(z6 S.E. Mo.)

There is very informative info in the GardenForumHorticulture site in the UK with regards to growing these. It states that cuttings can be taken in Spring or Fall and that if you plant these next to a different variety of petunias they will produce seed.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 7:31AM
martinkrisha

PLEASE HELP IM STRUGGLING WITH SURFINIAS AND FUCHSIAS

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 8:46AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Fuchsias are dead easy. I got this tip from a professional grower at my local flower show. All you need to do is pinch off the terminal bud and top two leaves of a branch and put it in a pot of compost. Place it under a plastic bag or similar cover to stop dehydration. I did my last batch under the cover of a transparent box which some salad came in. Keep the soil moist but not wet. The little cuttings will root very quickly ie in less than a week. If you have an established fuchsia you will already be pinching out the growing tips to train it so you have a huge supply of cuttings material. These little cuttings root much faster than longer pieces of stem.

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™