Advice on Dahlia Tubers please

mike_jw(London. UK)May 7, 2013

For the first time ever, I overwintered some Dahlia Tubers. I re-planted the main Tubers a few weeks ago but, detached some smaller ones from the main bunch, which I put 3 in a 5in/13cm pot. I guess they should have gone into separate pots, but I was only half-expecting to get anything out of them.

You can imagine my joy when two started to spout. Don't ask me why I only put them halfway into the compost; I guess I wanted to see where they would sprout from. They obviously need to be re-planted deeper, but would the shoot/s be OK being covered with compost. I guess so, because there's no other way. I don't fancy trying cuttings, as I could lose them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

wouldnt the issue be.. whether that pot will support whatever size dahlia you have ....

so.. presuming they need a bigger pot ... i would get the new pot.. fill with media ... tip them out of this one.. root mass intact.. place it in the new pot ...at the appropriate height.. backfill accordingly ....and be done with them

i dont know why you think this is a propagation issue.. i suppose you might get more responses in the perennial.. or dahlia forum.. if there is one ..

good luck

ken

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:08AM
disneyhorse(10A)

Put them in at Least at 12" pot and make sure that where those sprouts are are covered by 6" of dirt. They will come up'. Put a tomato cage or stakes for support. I don't know how big of dahlias they are but the bigger the pot the better flowers you will get. I put one tuber each in a 12" pot, and the whole pot is full of tubers by the end of the season when I dig them up. I divide and give to friends to plant in the spring.
For future reference, the little neck where they sprout, the sprout is called the "eye." Instead of planting them with the neck and eye pointing to the sky, lie them down horizontally (rotated with the eye facing up).

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:40PM
mike_jw(London. UK)

Thank you for for your helpful information. The main 'bunch' of tubers have just started to sprout also. I should have started them off ages ago, but we've had a prolonged cold spring and I'm wondering whether they're going to make enough growth to actually flower.

As for the 'eyes', I can never make out where the dormant ones are. Unlike the smooth surface of a Potato, Dahlias are wrinkled and fissured.

We bought some packed tubers a couple of weeks ago which have started to shoot already, whereas my saved ones have been decidedly slower. Maybe because the varieties are different, or the conditions in which they were stored.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Sponsored Products
Elk Lighting Frog Prince Bookends - 91-1111
$52.00 | Hayneedle
San Remo Sofa Bed
| Italy Design
Paris Market Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$170.00 | Horchow
Savannah Natural Black Four-Light Chandelier
$494.95 | Bellacor
Kingston Narrow Plate Mortise Set
Signature Hardware
Yorkshire Mahogany Bronze Large Foyer Lantern
$650.00 | Bellacor
Henri Studio Cielo Cast Stone Europhora Jar Fountain
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Handmade Heritage Kashan Burgundy/ Black Wool Rug (10' Square)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™