Year round profitable farm in SE Ontario?

sturgeonguy(5a ON)June 17, 2013

So, I have a chance to create a year round farm north of Toronto. Assume it would be organically certified, and I'd do all that it takes to manage it well.

Question is, I don't have enough outlets to sell to locally to consume the produce I could create. Where else can I sell? Is such an idea profitable? Are there coops to sell to in my region that puts it into the local grocery store?

Help me figure out where I should be looking for information. OMFRA sucks, COG sucks, all I read about is paying to be in more organizations. How do I connect with other people doing small scale year-round organic farming to get good info?

Cheers,
Russ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ninamarie(4Ont.)

You don't say what your region is. Ontario is a big, big place. Most regions have active farmer's markets and some provide marketing assistance to small growers.
How are you going to profitably grow in Ontario in November, December, January? Most greenhouse growers are in the Niagara area where it is warmest.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canuckistani(5b)

Where are you located exactly? How far from Toronto? What are you thinking about growing?

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
Wave Easy Red Petunia
Has anyone grown this plant. This is the first year...
lorraine644
Please Please help me find....
HI all, I'm looking for a very dark green version of...
appsya
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Best wave petunia for hanging baskets???
What do you growers think is the best wave petunia...
Diamond2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™