Adding Greenhouse #3

kellyjJune 28, 2006

I am a custom greenhouse specializing in hanging moss baskets and window boxes. I am at the point of adding another greenhouse and would appreciate any advice. My first two greenhouses were purchased through farmtek and are working great except not so great for hanging baskets. Would anyone have any suggestions to the best place to order greenhouses and the style that would work best for heavy baskets? I live in northern Minnesota and need to be able to handle heavy snowloads. Any tips would be great! At this time I have 3,000 sq. ft. of greenhouse space and this year thanks to great business we had a hard time walking through the greenhouse and venting during April and May due to plants everywhere.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantman118

I presently have a Conley Ranger Series 2000, a Farmtek High Tunnel and an Atlas Greenhouse Systems single bay, Snow Arch Gutter Connect with 8' side walls. Of the 3 I like the Atlas Snow Arch the best. The high side walls allow better air circulation and an overall larger feel. You would have to check with them for snow load rating, mine is in Indiana and have had no snow load problems. They also offer the RT gutter connect which I believe is even stronger. I don't know what your requirements for hanging baskets are, but I'm planning to add a second bay this fall primarily for hanging baskets. Every time I've talked to the folks at Atlas I've had good service, and would fully recommend them. If you decide to go with Atlas, go with the metal frame end kits, they work real well and will make finishing the greenhouse so much easier.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 7:47AM
mylu

I concur with plantman. Atlas is a very good company to work with. We have two snow arches and are quite happy with them.
It also depends on how many baskets you want to hang. You can easily get 250+ in a 30 x 96. Our next house will be the RT max Muscle.
Looks like your in Minnesota and my guess is they will recommend 4ft on center arches for a snow load of 30lbs per sq ft.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 10:45AM
deeproots(8b South Ga)

mylu, my neighbor has Rt's and I have snow arches.
don't let the marketing fool you.... snow arches can hang more weight.

at one point we had 2200-2400 10inch baskets hung in a 30by96

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
Fungicide for damping off of food producing plants?
What would be a systemic fungicide that could be used...
ms_minnamouse
Boxwood rejuvination
I have a job on an estate in Northern Virginia that...
beigestonehill
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Cypress Tobacco 5' 3" x 7' 2" Contemporary
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Grey Line Floral Grey 3 ft. 3 in.
Home Depot
Inhale Flushmount by Philips Forecast Lighting
$218.00 | Lumens
Designers Choice Collection Lamps 55 in. 2-Light Antique Brass Halogen Floor
Home Depot
Gray Talita Room-Darkening Grommet Panel
$17.99 | zulily
Bacova Atwood Branch Blue Cotton Elegance Indoor Kitchen Door Mat - Gray/Brown -
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Steve Silver Escher Ottoman - SR810T
$639.99 | Hayneedle
Blue Crosses Handwoven Wool Rug
$99.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™