too late for mums?

gllc21June 28, 2009

Ok last spring I posted on here about opening a nursery and I got some very good information .... plan, plan, plan. I still come back and read the posts but I am no where near a level to give any advice but I read everyone's. Well it just hit me that I did all this planning for spring which by the way went really good. Thanks!! Is it too late for me to order plugs for fall. Then I guess I should ask are they hard to grow? As I have done anything with mums but buy them and plant them in my yard. Will there be any special things I need to do? If so I may just want and order them in. Thanks for any and all input!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

Yes, you are getting on the late side if you want the plants to size up at all. I have bench grown six-inch potted mums with cuttings starting in July, and I have also done mum hanging belden gardens with a 1st July start........but that's pushing the envelope for my latitude.

You'd have to really use only the very late blooming varieties with a late response and long budding time, or light them. Neither of which would make you very competitive with your sales. The early blooming varieties are already setting buds.

You know they are photoperiodic, IOW when the bloom is driven by response to day length. When the nights start getting longer (as they will from solstice on) and reach the magic number, the plants will stop their vegetative growth and start budding up.

We don't call them plugs, but rooted cuttings. You will also find they should be ordered in early. You'll only get the left-overs from the major suppliers by this date and have to take what varieties you can get. If you can get them at all. Basically, you've missed your window.

Both major breeders have websites with schedules on them for garden mums, depending on how you want to grow them. Check them out before you order and get your orders in early. They like a six week lead time before shipping.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 6:43PM
sunnfarm3

Your best bet for now is to buy prefinished mums and go from there. If you order rooted cutting today you will never get them in time to grow out a saleable plant.Next year order cuttings by February receive an early order discount take delivery in May and you should do well. Mums are very easy to grow when you start them on time... Bob.

Bookmark   July 4, 2009 at 10:11AM
gllc21

That is what I was scared of. I had thought of using more rooted cuttings per pot. I am just going to have to find another supplier b/c I do not get early sales and last year the ones I had got in looked bad by the time the people came & my supplier was out.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 9:25PM
gllc21

where do you ordered your cuttings from? The only place I have seen is syngenta/yoder. Was wondering if any of you used anywhere else?

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Design Software
My old company has asked me if I would like to be a...
Kirstin Larson
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
Need volunteers or another inexpensive method for seed production
I am running a very tiny seed operation that has recently...
amigoverde
Please Please help me find....
HI all, I'm looking for a very dark green version of...
appsya
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™