Need a small, dense shade tree or large shrub

cindythegardener(6)June 7, 2013

I have been planting, pruning and maintaining a property for years. At the front of the house, there is a corner that is dense shade. It is the corner of a garage that juts out before the and the other side is the front of the house. There is maybe 15' x 20' of dense shade that takes up a corner, and of course there is a gutter coming down in this corner. Over the years hollies were once planted and died. Then I planted Rhodies. The ones that grow past this densely shaded area are thriving and blooming. The ones in the dense shade have died.

I am at a standstill with the owner. She wants a tree to hide the gutter, then suggested yews... UGH... no way! I need help. I love to plant shade gardens, and I have no problem with the plants (which are ready to go in after I get this problem solved). Does anyone have an idea of a small tree that can go in this corner?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dlbk(6a)

Would Kerria japonica, Hydrangea quercifolia or Viburnum plicatum work?

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindythegardener(6)

I can try. The woman is tough. Wants a small tree (that doesn't get big... of course... haha) to immediately cover the gutter. This is not your normal house either. It is huge. I will try and run off pictures of the shrubs you mentioned along with my suggestions. I am suggesting a Weeping Hemlock, although that will require pruning quite a bit, and I am trying to stay away from that. Sigh... I am such a standstill. Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
grow your own or use plugs?
Although we grow a couple acres of produce, we really...
midmogrower
How to register my website DOMAIN name?
Greetings! I am just about ready to start building...
sweetpea_path
Ideal careers for a male with a horticultural degree?
I still have a long time to think about this, but it's...
mike758
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Anyone can help with the type of this tree
Hi, Anyone can help with the type of this tree in my...
hamidrm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™