how protect cut tree limbs

dac17May 12, 2009

Hi. I had to chainsaw a feww branches recently because of a brutal ice storm this past winter (Massachusetts). As a result, the area where the branches have been cut are exposed and I am worries that disease or insects will find those areas inviting. I found a chemical based spray at Home Depot which basically seals the cut areas and protects it; however it is chemical based and I am trying to stay away from that stuff.

I would like to learn of reccomendations for a natural (or mostly natural) way to protect trees with cut branches.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

If you cut the branches off beyond the meristem, the swollen area where the branch and trunk meet, which is the proper way, then leave it uncovered. Regardless of what you did DON'T cover it with anything. Research shows that using any type of covering does greater harm to the survival of the tree than covering the wound (cut). Throw away that 50-60's idea that still promulgates the plant world.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 6:50PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll agree with petzold, just to give you more confidence that the advice is sound. Tree and branch wound dressing is rarely a good idea. There are a few instances when the practice is called for, but this is not one of them.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:36PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Both of the above responses are right on target, but one of the Tree Forum regulars, Spruceman, has come up with some very promising ideas that might benefit you. I will provide a link below. This is one of the best novel ideas I've seen from Gardenweb, and I've been around for a loooooong time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preventing Wood Rot in Trees--Liquid Copper Fungicide

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™