Wisteria Propagation

Grancru(z5 MI)May 21, 2006

Has anyone started witeria from cuttings? I have done some research and it appears fairly easy. 2-4 weeks for rooting. I plan to keep in pots for a few years.

From your experience how long does it take for a 6" cutting to flower? Is 5-10 years accurate? I am going to start mine now and transplant in 3 years. I hope to get flowers in 3-5 years after that.

Any thoughts? Or, possibly suggestions of other vines that are as interesting but flower quicker.

Grancru

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Take cuttings June through August. Apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist Takes 40-100 days. Should get flowers the next year The 3-5 years for flowering is for plants from SEED not cuttings. After rooting I lightly feed once a week & by the next spring they are ready to set out. I usually pick off the flowers the first year.....

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 9:43AM
windstorm86(z5MO)

I have some wisteria that I have been training into trees and standards and they are coming up from the runners(vines) and they are flowering already and they are about a year or two old and are about 2 foot or better in height they seem to flower whenever they want to. The big one is flowering again!

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 4:53PM
FLOWPOW2(Zone 7-8 bc. ca)

I just cut some new growth from an old plant, can I just stick the vines in water and put them by my sunless window for the winter ? Wiil they root ?

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 3:38PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Flowpow2,

Most woody plants cannot be rooted in water. Even the small minority that can do MUCH better and are MUCH easier to root when rooted in a potting medium. Follow Georgez5il's (or similar) advise. If you don't have a misting chamber (which I am almost positive you won't), just make a moisture tent out of a large jar, plastic sheeting, or a big tupperware-type storage box. Be careful to keep a CLOSE watch on soil moisture (not just on top, but down at root level - especially if you try to use something like typical potting soil). There are many threads in this forum that should cover your questions on the best potting medium (perlite or whatever).

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Sponsored Products
Stonegate Designs | Wisteria Table Lamp
$441.00 | YLighting
Dura-Trel Cambridge 6-ft. Vinyl Arch Trellis - Mocha - 11172M
$65.48 | Hayneedle
Erin Bath Bar by Quoizel
$169.99 | Lumens
Yowanda Purple 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Carnation Wisteria Pouf
$69.99 | zulily
King Lyrics Voile Sham - WISTERIA-LAVENDER (21X36)
$163.00 | Horchow
Rotaliana | Flow Ceiling Light
$562.50 | YLighting
Josslyn Mini Pendant by Quoizel
$219.99 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™