Propagating lilacs

lilacs_of_mayMay 4, 2008

My neighbor has a large lilac bush right next to the fence, and several branches have grown under the fence and into my yard.

Which is great. I love lilacs. But is there a way to take a cutting and root it so I could transplant it elsewhere in my yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Lilacs are a LOT easier to start from a rooted sucker which can be dug from the ground around the mother plant. You could also take one of those branches coming into your yard and pin it to the soil cover lightly keep damp, stake up the end, and in a few months roots will have grown and it can be cut from the mother plant and planted where you like. Al

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peggers(5a)

Maybe you can ask your neighbor if there are 'babies' on his side under the mother bush that you could dig and transplant. Our first spring at our house we noticed about 120 babies under an old half dead bush. I have successfully transplanted most and have given a lot to friends. I dug a hole about 3x the size of the roots so they could spread out and watered them every other day for about 2 weeks. The second year they went from 12" to 2-3' tall and are doing great!

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™