Freeze, Smoke, Dry???

tsheets(5)July 29, 2012

I was thinking of trying to smoke some peppers before drying them this year. At this point, I only have a few peppers ready - not enough to warrant the smoker OR the dehydrator, but, I need to do something before they go bad.

I was thinking about freezing them until I have enough to do a decent sized batch on the smoker / dehydrator.

Anyone see any problems with that or have experience with freezing before drying? I can't imagine there would be an issue since texture isn't really important for drying / powdering, but, thought I'd check to see if anyone had any experience/advise.

Thanks all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richiebaker1245(8)

Not much help, but I'd eat them! Put peppers on every meal! ;-) I've frozen cayennes last year and they were a bit mushy when I took them out. Tried dryin some under the grill, but they smoked the house out like CS spray! Try to eat them all, that's why we grow them! I know it's not much help, but I love peppers with everything.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 3:45PM
ottawapepper

I have dried thawed frozen peppers for powdering in the past with no noticeable difference in the end product to fresh.

I have no experience smoking them. Maybe I'll try it this week ;-)

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 3:56PM
tsheets(5)

Richie - Yeah, I've been eating some, made some Lemon Drop sauce a couple weeks ago, salsa, marinades, etc.. Some I grow specifically to grind into powder for chili seasoning. I just don't have enough to make it worth firing up the dehydrator at the moment. Freezing peppers will generally make them mushy. Not so good for fresh eating, but, perfectly fine for soups, stews, chili, etc..

Bill - Thanks! That's what I expected. I was just hoping to hear from someone that has actually done it. :-)

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:13PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

I almost would think that they would dry faster and easier after being frozen since freezing would burst a lot of cells. Would be interested to know if that's the case, husband complains when I dehydrate peppers. Garlic too, for some reason. Anyway, faster drying = less complaining.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:28PM
romy6(9)

I freeze most of my peppers before I smoke or dry them. It is a good idea to slice them in half and wash them before you throw them in the freezer. Makes for faster drying and less pain . Slicing up mushy pods is no fun. I have heard freezing them opens up the cell walls of the epper and maked =s them easier to smoke or dry. Also you can store enough up to make a decent amount of powder.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 1:11PM
tsheets(5)

Good points! I was just thinking about that at lunch today. There will probably be extra liquid when thawed out which is less moisture for the dehydrator to have to take out.

That's a good tip about slicing before freezing! I didn't slice them this time, but, will for future additions to the freezer.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 1:57PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I Freeze them. I have to half the jalapenos and remove the center with the seeds, or else the seeds turn brown, just a tip.

I have been really enjoying my jalapeno. They stay hot, and if you freeze them quik they keep a good texture.

Here is a batch I froze.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Your Grow List --- 2015
It is getting closer to start the season especially...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™