Will my mini greenhouse work?

sandymigMay 28, 2008

I want to try to get some softwood cuttings going. This is finally the right time of year right? Although I think I may still be early for some things. I am very green to propagating so I would appreciate any feedback and tips you could provide.

I have a mini, mini greenhouse, more like a coldframe. The dimensions are approximately 5 feet long by 3 feet deep by 3 feet high. Will this work for softwood cuttings? I have cloches that I could use instead. Which option do you think is better? Temperatures right now are varying a lot! We had 86 degrees yesterday, which was unusually hot, and today it won't get out of the 60's. Average high is 76. Will it be warm enough at night?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

It should work BUT the proof is in the results give it a try..... Note that rooting is promoted by warm soil temp & not the air temp... keep humidity high & good air circulation.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

I agree with Georgez5il. To clarify the term 'warm' soil, it should be between 65 and 75 degrees F for best results. If the temp. is above or below, the propagation rate will be slower or less than at optimal conditions.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™