How to propagate Heuchera (Coral Bells)

lil_rhody(z6b RI coast)May 14, 2006

I'm new to this forum.

I just bought a small Heuchera 'Snow Angel' and would like to make more from that plant. What's the most successful way to propagate it?

Paul B.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inthegarden_k(z7 NC)

i believe that the growth buds are in the main stem, so although you could root a leaf, it will not grow into a complete plant. the usual way to propagate heuchera is through division.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 7:27AM
donn_(7b-8a)

Making More Plants says Heuchera can be propagated by leaf petiole cuttings.

Bookmark   May 15, 2006 at 7:44AM
gretchenmi(Zone 5)

Hello......from Michigan...bought one (Heuchera..Purple Palace)....I love it....when to divide....spring? ....I LOVE THE COLOR.....Thanks .....gert

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 8:53PM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

Heuchera is a slam dunk propagation-wise. My methods:

1) When dividing, take the stem pieces that come off, take off all but a couple of leaves, rooting hormone, 1 gallon pot, compost, ziplock cover, shade.

2) Take the stems, divide with sharp clean razor blade or knife into pieces with 2-3 smallish leaves (or cut off half of the larger leaf), make sure a chunk of stem is attached to the petiole, 500 IBA quickdip or rooting powder, 50:50 peat:perlite, mist

Excellent rooting percentage, near 100% either way.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 10:56PM
willameadows

I've had good luck with one I bought recently - Heuchera 'Key Lime Pie' - a gorgeous chartreuse. I loosened the soil away from the crown and pulled off small divisions right at the crown (they didn't have any roots attached) - actually the correct term would be basal cuttings, I guess. Anyway, I trimmed each cutting down to just a couple of the smaller, new leaves. I stuck them just deep enough to stand up in a peat:perlite mix and rooted them under intermittent mist, though you could probably use a plastic cover in the shade - anything to keep them moist. Mine took about 3 weeks to root - I got eleven out of the twelve I stuck. I will plant them out in the garden next spring. The mother plant has now grown back to about the same size it was before I took the cuttings, so am going to do some more.

Heuchera Palace Purple is one that will come true from seed - you might try collecting seed.

Bookmark   July 22, 2006 at 11:47PM
marilynnvee_yahoo_com

where would you find the seed on this plant? MariLynn

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 6:59PM
rockstonegarden(5b (NS, Can))

Heuchera should be devided frequently, or not at all. If left for 3 years, the main stem can become woody, making division much more dificult and success less likely. If you divide them every spring, you will have the most success. IMHO.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:32PM
oliveoyl3

In spring cut off the tall stalk that shoots up & replant in soft soil, keep moist, & sprouts into it's own plant. As long as it has some stem & the pink shoots showing new sprouting leaves it works. Did this first with Palace Purple then with Firefly. Next spring I'll do it with Caramel.

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™