Wax myrtle North Carolina

bruce113July 26, 2009

Hello everyone,

I have a question about wax myrtle, I know that it is native to this state so it was our first choice to put down a hedge in the back yard, I went to a nursery and bought the three year old bushes , put them in the ground last year around October, this month I noticed that some are dying they are brown and all the leafs are dry, we have been getting some rain in this area so I do not think water is the reason as out of 12 bushes 4 are not doing badly, I really do not understand what might be the reason for them to die and are they dead ? should I pull them out of the ground and replant others or trim them down and hope they will grow again?

any body hade this happen to them with wax myrtle? what I understood that this plant does not require much attention, it is strange because they did grow little bit before they shriveled.

Any ideas help please

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

There are "limited" roots on each plant 7 along with transplant shock and not getting as much water as when they were at the nursery so YES water shortage is probably a major part of the problem.
trim back the bushes & start a regular watering program this year. a small amount of of stsrter fertilizer will also help
They plants require little treatment after they are establisshed.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 7:19PM
gardengal48

Even though native and well-adapted to local growing conditions, newly planted shrubs need a period of time to become established before they can be assumed to be 'self-sufficient'. That would extend through at least one full growing season - often a longer period is required. "Some rain" is very likely not enough water if you have not been regularly irrigating them as well.

You can check to see if the ailing plants are truly dead by scraping off the bark on a lower stem or the trunks. If it shows green underneath, the plants are still alive and may benefit by pruning back hard to let them regrow (with adequate watering!!). I'd avoid using any fertilizer at this point - when plants are under stress for whatever reason, they are unable to metabolize fertilizers properly and applying it unnecessarily will only stress them further. If it is not green, then they are indeed dead and will need to be replaced. New plants will require regular deep watering during the period of establishment - do not rely simply on rainfall. It is not enough.

The other thing you should check is depth of planting. Many newly planted shrubs and trees fail because they have inadvertantly been planted too deeply.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 11:07AM
elleoneill67_yahoo_com

What amount of sun do wax myrtles require? How much space between plants?
Thank you.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Creative tips for raking gravel?
On walkways in formal garden setting have you found...
gata
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
landscape designer wanted
i live in the San Fernando valley/Sherman Oaks. Looking...
nancy4435
RE: hiring help
I've been the sole gardener at an estate for 15+ years...
dlbk
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™