rooting clematis

trillium41(z5MA)May 25, 2005

I have a pretty clematis vine, and a friend who would like one just like it. Do you have any tips for propagation? I have rooting hormone and a rooting tray, but are there any tricks? I haven't tried rooting a clematis cutting before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Best time June through August Use cuttings (1-2 nodes) of firm new growth. Apply 0.3% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil7 mist taking 28-75 days to root

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 6:43PM
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

Clematis is one of the few plants that will root anywhere along the stem, but I usually do them near a node anyway. I take 2 node cuttings after they have finished blooming...whenever that happens to be where you live. Remove the bottom set of leaves and dip in rooting hormone powder. Do I understand that you have a rooting tray with a humidity cover? If so you are in business. If not, you will need to invent one...either place little individual pots inside a zip loc bag or place in a deep clear plastic storage container. Use damp potting soil mixed with perlite and mist them if there is no condensation showing inside the cover. Keep them in a light place, but out of direct sun. I recommend individual pots because I have lost them when trying to pot up too soon after rooting.

Look for nice fat mature buds in the leaf axils for a cutting location on the vine. It should be this years growth. You can cut away part of the top leaflet if it is too long.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 9:30PM
trillium41(z5MA)

Thank you so much! There are buds on my plant now, so I guess I'll try as soon as they have gone by.

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 1:56PM
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

The reason to wait is to insure that the buds will mature enough to grow. I read a "rule of thumb" thing that said to test by bending to see if a shoot will snap or bend. If it snaps, it is mature enough and that is where you need to make your bottom cut. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™