Propogating New Guinea Impatiens

sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)May 4, 2006

Hello! Could anyone tell me how they propogated New Guinea impatiens? I bought two plants in pots and they are leggy, but very fresh and beautiful. Could I cut them back and start cuttings in water? Or in potting mix?? The stems are much like our regular impatiens, which I have increased by rooting in water. I don't think I would use Rootone for these, as the stems are very fleshy. Should I take the flowers off the stems I want to root?

Any ideas?? Thank you so much.

Sunny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

I take cuttings & apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist.....
Yes remove most of the leaves & all flowers....

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 7:27PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Okay. So I can use rooting hormone. "& mist." Forgot about misting! Yes, I will try this tomorrow. I have a greenhouse, so the humidity is good in there. I love to experiment and have some very good ideas from this forum.
Thank you!
Sunny

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 11:14PM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

I wanted to post the results of my propagation experiments on New Guinea impatiens. I used two methods on two different potted plants. In one group, I used rooting hormone in sterile medium in peat pots. Took 8 cuttings. All but two cuttings rooted, and I'm not sure the two are not going to look better eventually. A couple of these 6 are even blooming! The same day I took three cuttings and put them in water. They have all rooted. The two plants I took cuttings from look much, much better as they were pretty scraggly when I bought them. I'll harden them all off this week and plant them out soon.

If you really think about it, almost everything we do is an experiment. It was fun getting these new plants. And now I know it can be done! Hope this helps someone else who might like more impatiens.

Sunny

Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™