Best way to propagate varigated red twig dogwood?

lisa2004(NY Z5/6)May 30, 2009

I have 2 large bushed that I can take cuttings from. What is the best way to do this? Last year I tried clipping some larger branches and just putting them in a bucket of water to see if they would develop roots. They were dead in a few days. If I HAVE to use rooting hormone, how do I do this? I've never used it before. Thanks in advance for any advice. Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madrone(VancIsl BC)

Lisa2004, you could take some softwood cuttings, probably towards the end of this month, and onward. You just remove the top 3-4" of a branch, strip off the bottom leaves, trim back the top leaves by half, dip the stem into some rooting hormone for softwood cuttings, and then put it into a small pot that has freely draining moist potting soil (or propagation mix, if you can find it). Cover the cuttings with a plastic dome or bag, and place it in a shady spot. It should stay green and healthy looking and start to pull roots in 6-8 weeks. However, you will have to baby it through the winter. Alternatively, you could try layering some branches. By next year, they should have rooted and you can sever them from the parent plant.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 12:11AM
lisa2004(NY Z5/6)

Thank you. I'm going to give it a try.

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 9:34AM
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

Commercially I've heard a lot of dogwood is done by taking 14" cuttings after they drop their leaves, poking them 10" into the ground, and leaving them over winter.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 3:45PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

It's very easy to ground layer lower twigs.
Just bend them down, scrape off the bottom side of the branches to expose the cambium, paint with root hormone, pile some soil over the spot and hold it down with a brick or two.
Water once in a while.

Easy as pie. Works very well with many shrubs, even with Clematis.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 11:29PM
lisa2004(NY Z5/6)

The two bushes that I have frequently have low branches that touch the ground and develop roots (which would be nature's way of ground layering, I think). I haven't been successful in cutting them off from the main bush and planting them elsewhere yet. I'm going to give it another try...
Sherwood, you way sounds very easy~ think I'll try that too this fall.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 10:59PM
dvtown(6b)

Hardwood cuttings will root very easily. I haven't had any success with softwood on red twig dogwood cuttings. You don't need rooting hormone with the hardwood cuttings usually just sticking them in the ground is good enough.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™