Propagating Azaleas

sam_in_wiMay 28, 2006

Hi, does anyone know how to go about taking cuttings of azaleas? If this cannot be done, is there another easier was to propogate them? My neighbor has some really beautiful ones that I would like to take a piece of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inthegarden_k(z7 NC)

they are easily propagated through layering. gently bend a branch to the garden, pin it down, cover with a bit of soil, sit a rock on it. check for roots at the end of summer, sever from the mother plant, and plant it in the fall.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 10:34AM
lucky_p

They're easy to propagate from semi-hardwood cuttings, collected from about now, on through August. I took some cuttings from some I planted this weekend.
Just take cuttings of this year's growth, remove all but the top 3 or 5 leaves, dip in rooting hormone, and stick in a 50/50 mix of sand and peat. Keep in a shady spot, and water daily. Next spring, you can move the rooted cuttings up to individual pots and grow them for a couple of years, then transplant.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 10:41AM
joe_n_sc(7)

hey Lucky, will using plastic bags speed up the process? I've got some in bags now and was wondering if I really had to do this. Thanks, Joe.

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 4:35PM
lucky_p

We never bagged ours - some stuff, like roses or camellias, we'd put a glass or jar over - but not the azaleas.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™