Professional grade Potting Mix

anandkuchibhJuly 23, 2012

I want to make all purpose potting mix with coco peat, vermiculite and PBH (parboiled rice huls). Can I add Osmocote to this mix. Is osmocote enough or should I add any other nutrients? If so, how much I should add for a 25 lbs of soileless growing medium as said above?

If NOT Osmocote, what should I add for NPK fertilizer and in what quantities? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't know why you couldn't use SRF in your recipe. The best policy regarding amounts is to pretty much follow the directions (or less) for your particular product. What kind of plants are you going to be growing in this mix?

There are hundreds of different kinds of fertilizers on the market. You will simply have to find one that provides your plants with what they need. If you plan on keeping plants in this mix for a long time, I urge you to find something with the minor elements included. NPK alone will not supply the trace elements.

I think you should know that vermiculite collapses very quickly and will not add the structure and porosity that I assume you're looking for. It turns into mush. If you want something which increases porosity, provides lots of air pockets, holds onto a fair amount of water, and is sturdy enough to do its job for a long time.....perlite is what you want.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Starting a small iris nursery
I have been digging thru this forum the last few weeks...
lynnthegardener
gravel not grass :(
I can not grow grass in my yard! since purchasing...
all your environment
Advice on Starting a Garden Design and Consultation Business
Yes, I have read many start up advice posts on this...
alexmac13
Planting Mature Trees
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. We have been...
justjamplease
Landscaper has business in residential neighborhood with HOA
I live in a neighborhood which does not allow you to...
diddlydoo
Sponsored Products
Mini Square Chrome One-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Light Peridot Green Cry
$150.00 | Bellacor
Calhoun Leather Loveseat - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Battery-operated Holly and Berry Christmas Garland
Grandin Road
August Moon Outdoor Wall Sconce by Feiss
$138.00 | Lumens
Rachael Ray Dinnerware 'Rise' Purple 4-piece Stoneware Dinner Plate Set
Overstock.com
Barrel Style Copper Hose Pot
Signature Hardware
Pebble Glen Tipping Bowls LED Fountain