Propagation of Money Tree Plant

ibemaggieMay 31, 2005

Greetings,

First of all as a new member you could not believe how many hours I have sat here gathering information from all of the different forums. You all do a great job and I thank you.

I received a money tree plant (I realize that it must have an official name but do not know it!) as a wedding gift some years ago. I have been trying to propragate? the plant to pass on to other's as a gift.

Problem: I do not know what I am doing. I thought my Mother used to just stick some like this in a jar of water and get roots. Well I put my cutting in water for a while (months) and it did not die but just sat there. Next I tried planting the cutting. The cutting is about 8 inches long and has now grown two little nodules in the V of the cutting I took. It has been planted in dirt for over three months now. The whole process has taken six months.

I would appreciate some help on what my next step might be in handling this gangly cutting that has made very slow progress. Also if anyone knows the correct name of this plant I would love to know it. If a picture is needed just let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Are you talking about the plant that produces the pods of seeds that look like silver dollars when dry? I THINK it is called "lunaria" - and the pods are what is used to reproduce, I think - well, actually the seeds in the pod. If wrong plant, sorry.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 10:20PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

If it is the Lunaria they reseed themselves. Or you can save the seed and plant where ever you like. Al

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 11:10PM
flowerpower326(z6 nj)

i would love to get some of this plant. my husband always asks if we have a money tree in the yard! LOL:) Anybody willing to share? I only have seeds at this point.PLMK

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 9:22PM
aes123(Z6 OH)

I just happened to buy one at the store today. I have no idea about propigation, but it's botanical name is Pachnia aquatica. You might consider googling based on that.

I hope that helps.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 3:07PM
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Ah, a good example to make an effort to learn the scientific name of a plant.

Speaking of which, the good ol' jade tree (Crassula ovata) is also known as the money tree.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 6:36PM
ibemaggie

Thanks for helping me identify the name of the plant in question. I looked up the various suggestions and it turned out to be a "pachira_aquatica." Thank you aes123.
Now I have uploaded a picture of how my propagation of this plants looks. Can I cut off the two original green leaves? Tne new plant is not dying and does have two area of growth but after being in soil for four months I thought it would grow more. Any suggestions or do I just continue to water, feed and talk to it. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachira Aquatica

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 12:43AM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Hi ibemaggie - we can't view a pic without a password?

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
Huff Cutwork Garden Stool
Overstock.com
Montmartre Stacking Side Chair - Set of 2 - Fermob
$432.00 | HORNE
Leaf Garden Border
$10.99 | zulily
Jaipur Anatolia Izmir Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Wool Handmade Rug Multicolor - R
$83.00 | Hayneedle
Ogrow Ultra Deluxe Compact Outdoor Seed Starter Greenhouse Cloche - OG7036-M
$36.86 | Hayneedle
Tropical Beach II Wrapped Canvas
$99.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™