ocotillo: from seeds and stems

victorhugo(6)May 16, 2008

Can someone please tell me the secrets to starting ocotillo from seed (which now seem ripe for the picking)? Nick and soak? how long to wait after picking? cold down time first? what seed bed mix (vermiculite, perlite, gravel, etc.)

How about from stem cuttings? callous over? dry? vertical or horizontal? rooting hormone? rooting mix (perlite, etc.)

THANKS!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccroulet(z9 CA Sunset 18)

You might contact one of the CNPS chapters or one of the native-plant botanic gardens (e.g. Rancho Santa Ana). I assume you have Dara Emery's "Seed Propagation of Native California Plants." He simply says "no treatment" for Fouquieria splendens seeds. Many decades ago, during my less enlightened years as a teenager, I dug up a small ocotillo and tried to grow it in San Diego. It survived until we moved three or four years later, but it didn't grow, either. I'd be tempted to try seeds, except that I'm not sure what I would do with the resulting plants. In my yard in Temecula, I'm trying to emphasize chaparral and CSS plants that could plausibly grow here. Whatever you find out, please keep us posted.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™