rooting crape myrtle suckers

joe_n_sc(7)May 19, 2006

I'm trying to root crape myrtles from suckers that grew at the base of some trees in my parent's yard. These trees are over 100 yrs old and probably were set out by one of my great-great grandparents. I've trimmed off the lower leaves, mixed sand and potting mix, dipped the cuttings in rooting hormone and put them in a shady place on my porch. I mist them several times a day. Now, my question is, is it normal for these cutting to look wilted? They are bending over and look like they are going to die. Can anyone give me some advice? I really want some trees to keep them in the family. Thanks, Joe_n_sc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Every thing sounds ok except look at the "age" of the suckers... are they new growth but FIRM ?... also did you remove all but the tip leaf? are they in a draft?

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 2:01PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Make sure the cuttings are just a few inches long, too. Keep the planting mix moist but not soggy.

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 2:41PM
joe_n_sc(7)

ok, I did trim some of the leaves but not all but the tip leaves. They were firm new growth when I cut them out from under the parent trees. I did keep them in water over night before I put them in the dirt to root them. Was that a mistake? Thanks, Joe

Bookmark   May 20, 2006 at 7:29PM
bgr0807_yahoo_com

I cut the suckers off of several crepe myrtle trees and was told to put them in water with miracle grow until they root. Will this work in Mississippi if left outside?

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:38PM
panama1(z7 ala)

i have had success with using 2 lt bottles on crepe myrtle cuttings, prepare as usual, mist lightly, then put 2lt bottle over cutting and keep out of direct sun, the cutting does not wilt, or lose the leaves left on it and after about a week i can remove the 2lt top for air circulation, and after about a week remove the bottle... it should keep looking fresh and start having new growth..

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:05PM
Adrift-in-beauty(9b)

I do the soda bottle thing too with my Rosemary and lavanders I've never had luck with my crape ... idk if I'm using them right type of cuttings how do u tell

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:23PM
calistoga_al

I root a few every year using nothing special. Rootone and a loose mix with bottom heat. Start early in the year to have well established before fall dormancy. Al

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Propagating Cherry Laurel
I believe the picture here is of a large Cherry Laurel...
oldSarge98
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™